PaceMakeTheRace Podcast featuring Dave Schwartz and Derek Simon: Are you still handicapping like people did back in the 1980s?
The 1980s were a great time to be handicapping. Pace handicapping was a shiny new thing, Picking Winners was less than a decade old, and even Impact Value handicapping was fresh and new. There were no whales. The takeouts were lower. And favorites won 33% (instead of the 38% they win today.) The game was just easier.
- Has handicapping from printed past performances become too expensive in terms of time?
- What is “Story Handicapping?”
- Do you often say things like this? “I’ve been doing this for 40 years. I KNOW how to handicap.”
- Do you still see layoff horses has the kiss of death? (Despite the fact that statistics do not support that?)
- What are “Time Decay Factors?”
- If you are a past performance reader, what 2 simple factors could make capturing winners easier?
Listen to Podcast here:
Listen at Super-Fast Speed here:
About Derek Simon:
I love numbers and analysis and have been able to parlay that into an exciting career writing about two of my greatest passions — business and sports.
In addition to working as a freelance financial writer for Newsmax, The Motley Fool, Investopedia/Forbes, Beacon Equity Research and Investor Concepts (among others), I was also the editor of Small Cap Insider, a monthly newsletter highlighting investment opportunities in the small cap sector.
Currently, I am the editorial director for US Racing where I contribute written, audio and video content and oversee a team of talented and passionate writers.
Check back often. Did you know that the best stuff goes directly to our email community? Be the first to hear about special offers, new products, and new material. Sign Up Today.
Join the discussion in our private Talking Handicapping with Dave Schwartz Facebook Group.